The Everyday Apron
Time & Place
Aprons are a staple. Make this simple, utilitarian apron (with pockets!) in a morning and put it to use that afternoon gathering eggs, in the garden, kitchen or at the grill. We start with an old-fashioned blue and white striped cotton tea towel, and then customize with pockets and adjustable straps and waistband. You can even make one for little ones in your life, too.
What You Will Learn
- Operation of fundamental tools (e.g., rotary cutter, sewing machine, ruler, cutting mat, seam ripper, etc.)
- Basic measuring, cutting and sewing techniques
What You Take Home
- A ready to use bib apron or waist apron, with pockets and adjustable straps
- Pattern for making one for a friend or child
What To Bring
- if you want something specific, bring your choice of fabric for pockets and straps (half yard is recommended for two pockets and straps). Otherwise, we will provide a variety of fabrics for straps and pockets that you can select at the beginning of class.
- Portable sewing machine you prefer to use, let us know and bring it along (this is not a requirement)
Cal-Folk will take care of the rest!
No experience necessary, and recommended for Folkies ages 8 and up (ages 15 and under must have an accompanying adult). Have younger children you want to bring? Kindly email us before registering to talk possibilities and make arrangements.
Head Folkie for the Day
Barb McLean has been sewing since she was in grade school and shifted to quilting as an adult. She specializes in art quilts that re-create realistic scenes in quilt form. She enjoys drawing and watercolor painting as well, and continues to find creative ways of bringing the two together. When not making her own creations, Barb loves helping those new to sewing (or who haven’t sewn a single stitch) see all that they can create with this flexible and functional craft.
- 1 Adult (18+)$40$400$0
- 1 Youth (8+ w/ adult)$40$400$0