The Art of Listening
Time & Place
There's something about the quiet that draws us in, yet we often don't know what to do with ourselves once we get there. This class can help.
You'll spend the day mostly outside, with extended times of silence and a variety of experiences designed to help you discover the interior and exterior world in new ways. A brief explanation about mindfulness and self-awareness practices will be provided, as well as prompts and exercises (like journaling, walking meditation, etc.) to try throughout the day. A group debrief and processing time will take place after lunch.
What Will You Learn?
- Basics of self-awareness
- A few mindfulness practices to try out
- General introduction to neuroscience: the study of the structure and function of our nervous system and brain
- Ways to befriend and use silence, whether you have two minutes or two days
What You Take Home
- New insight about yourself, someone you know, or the world around you
- Tangible ideas for how to create and enjoy silence in your everyday life
- A new journal
- An acorn or two ...
What To Bring
- Layers of clothing for changing temperatures
- Sun protection (hat, sunscreen, etc.)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Water to stay hydrated
- Lunch for yourself that can keep in a cooler for 4 hours
Recommended for Folkies ages 17 and up.
Head Folkie for the Day
This beautiful experience will be led by our fearless co-founder Jenn Hooten. The last few years, Jenn has organized and co-led numerous retreats for the Center for Engaged Compassion (Claremont, Calif.), which certified her as a trainer in its unique approaches to teaches people be more compassionate with themselves and others. She's also a graduate of Google's' "Search Inside Yourself" leadership program as well as a certified Myers-Briggs personality assessment professional ... so she knows what she's doing, an loves helping people discover new things about themselves.
Besides bringing Cal-Folk to life, she's a working mom who serves as Director of Community Relations at the Institute for Collective Trauma and Growth in Santa Barbara, where she currently is working with those affected by the Thomas fire and mudslides in Montecito and the long-term emotional impacts of that disaster. So what we're saying is the compassion switch doesn't turn off for Jenn, and she'll bring that care and attention to planning and executing what promises to be a rewarding day for all.
- 1 Adult (17+)$25$250$0