Putting up Pickles
Time & Place
Pickling has become popular again as a way of preserving vegetables (and fruit too!) and adding remarkable flavor to charcuterie and the dinner table. This class will introduce you to the basics of pickling and preserving them with traditional canning techniques.
What You Will Learn
- Step-by-step canning process—from sterilization of jars to storage
- How to select and prepare your vegetables and fruit
- How to creatively combine veggies or fruits, spices and vinegars for unique artisan pickles
- A variety of tips and tricks gathered through years of experience
What You Take Home
- Experience of watching an expert make a batch of pickles before you jump in and make your own
- Your share of whatever the class makes (we'll divide it up evenly at the end of the day)
What To Bring
- An apron (full bib is recommended; please leave billowy sleeves in your closet that day)
- A sharp paring knife
- Any favorite veggies or fruit you want to experiment with
Cal-Folk will take care of the rest!
No experience necessary, and recommended for Folkies ages 15 and up. Have younger children you want to bring? Kindly email us before registering to talk possibilities and make arrangements.
Head Folkie for the Day
Madeleine Jex is a force of nature and a long time Valley resident. She also knows a thing or two about canning since she's been doing it for more than half of her life. When pregnancy kept her from riding her horse in those final months, she encountered a jam recipe in a magazine and thought, "how hard could this be?" She tried some things on her own and then had a friend teach her more, and we're lucky she's willing to be that kind of friend to us here at Cal-Folk.
"People need to know this class will be a lot of work, especially because I like to find ways to use every bit of the produce we have" she asked us to tell you. "But there is nothing better than the taste of your own homemade pickles," she adds with a knowing smile.
When not teaching for us, Madeleine can be found zooming around the Valley training her champion hunting dogs, or towing her horse trailer all over the nation on the prowl for antiques to sell at her shop, The Gentleman Farmer.
- 1 Adult (18+)$85$85Sold Out