Bread Boards & Pizza Peels
Time & Place
There's nothing as satisfying as a beautiful piece of wood. Over the course of two days, you'll move from beginner to artisan, walking away with a one-of-a-kind masterpiece that will impress your family, friends ... and maybe even yourself!
The class runs 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday and 9 a.m. to noon on Sunday.
What You Will Learn
- What hardwoods are best for food preparation and knife use over time
- How to select pieces and arrange into an attractive design
- The techniques for glueing up pieces for a long-lasting and durable bond
- Scraping glue and sanding the surface to achieve an even surface
- Selecting the right oil for your final product
- How to make (and keep) your board food safe
What You Take Home
- A finished cutting board or pizza peel
- The skills and confidence to make your next glue-up project
Recommended for Folkies ages 15 and up (youth with adults only).
This class is designed by Bob and Sara Hughes of Flying H Designs in Shandon, Calif. Bob is a native Texan, where fixing fences was one of his earliest learning experiences. Sara grew up on a ranch in Los Olivos and graduated from Santa Ynez High before heading east to Texas where she met Bob. Several years ago, they moved back to California and set up shop.
Flying H Design specializes in artisan woodworking with new and reclaimed wood, often integrating vintage and antique objects into their designs. They exhibit and sell at a variety of local shops and shows, including Three Speckled Hens in Paso Robles, the CALM Antique Show show in Santa Barbara, and Sisters Home and Gifts in Los Alamos.
"There's no better feeling than creating something with your own hands—like a cutting board or bread board or coffee table or a kitchen table" Bob says. "The beauty of making anything is that all you need is desire. Anyone can do it. Just get started."
And if we're lucky, Bob will bring some of this home-roasted coffee for the class on Saturday and Sunday morning!
- Adult (18+)$135$1350$0