Birds & Breakfast
Time & Place
The estuary where the Santa Ynez River meets the ocean at Surf Beach in Lompoc is a premier bird-watching destination right here on the Central Coast, with a diversity of interesting and rare species that birders travel to see from across the nation. Your morning excursion through this unique habitat will be followed by a hearty field-baked breakfast waiting for your return. Beginner and intermediate birders are encouraged, but all are welcome—including well-behaved and curious kiddos.
What You Will Learn
- The basic skills of bird identification (i.e., markings, call, behavior, etc.)
- Species of birds currently in the area, and others that migrate to and through the estuary
- General information about migration, habitat and human interaction with both
What You Take Home
- A new bird journal
- A full belly
What To Bring
- Layers of clothing for changing temperatures and conditions
- Sturdy and comfortable shoes
- Water to stay hydrated
- Binoculars, if possible (we bet you have a friend who has a pair you could borrow)
Cal-Folk will take care of the rest!
No experience necessary, and recommended for Folkies ages 6 and up (children with adults, please). Have younger children you want to bring? Kindly email us before registering to talk possibilities and make arrangements.
Head Folkie for the Day
Matt Caliguire has been birding since college and has traveled to various parts of the world, appreciating the birds and people he encounters along the way. Now residing in Santa Barbara, the birds of California have most of his attention, second only to that of his wife and new son. When not teaching for Cal-Folk, Matt is a project manager for a Santa Barbara construction and design firm.
- 1 Adult (18+)$30$300$0
- 1 child (12+ w/ adult)$15$150$0